[ih] Chat room and forum archives

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Sep 1 02:41:26 PDT 2022

Before AoL mass market, most people were on Compuserve with fewer
numbers on other BBS like Prodigy or GEnie (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEnie ) or Netcom (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netcom_(United_States) and The World (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_(Internet_service_provider) and
other more "geeky" BBSes like the Well (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_WELL ) and of course FidoNet, which I
wouldn't imagine your character using.

If your character's using an Apple II then AoL wouldn't work and he'd
probably be on GEnie or Compuserve. You could make him more savvy at
some point, jumping to KA9Q software that would be his move to a real
TCP-IP stack, although versions of KA9Q for Apple II were developed much
later than the PC version. (TCP-IP stack on Apple II is challenging) -
and by then he would have probably jumped to PC or MAC.

As a worldwide chat system I'd recommend IRC, which was really "huge"
(in its own world) back then. Again, historically interesting how, just
like USENET, at some point it suffered greatly from endless flame wars
and with nobody in charge, was very difficult to police. Spaf would know
a lot about Usenet too. Back in '92 his description of Usenet was:
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."

Some might say that of today's Internet too, when it comes to
"influencer" content.

Kindest regards,

Olivier

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD