[ih] The linux router project and wifi routers

Dave Taht dave.taht at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:04:40 PDT 2022

which among other things, spawned busybox, I once wrote up my
intersection with here:

http://the-edge.blogspot.com/2003/06/wireless-connection.html

I didn't know the cisco story was similar. How history repeats itself!
I don't remember a whole lot about the linuxrouter project (dave
cinege
had some odd ideas), but it was pretty foundational to the birth of
the embedded linux market as a whole. Similarly, the story of busybox
is not particularly well known, but it combined the most common unix
utilities into one binary that *fit* into the limited amount of flash
and memory available in the 90s and early 2000s in a form that allowed
for extensive scripting for complex functionality, compared to the
all-in-one approach of OSes like windriver's.

There's also the handhelds.org project, which nobody remembers along
the brief flurry of app stores for linux-running handhelds in the
pocketpc era...

And also, uclinux.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2022 at 9:33 AM the keyboard of geoff goodfellow via
Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:

> EXCERPT:
>
> The following account of the real origins of Cisco Systems, as opposed to
> the history often recounted in Cisco company literature, was written in
> 1999 by Tom Rindfleisch. Rindfleisch was Director of the SUMEX-AIM project
> (1973-1990), under which the software for a powerful Internet router system
> was developed and widely deployed at Stanford and elsewhere for research
> purposes. That code found its way, without approval from the original
> developers, to form the basis of the Cisco router...
>
> Tom Rindfleisch
> Last updated April 8, 1999
>
> [...]
> https://www.tcracs.org/tcrwp/1origin-of-cisco/
>
> --
> Geoff.Goodfellow at iconia.com
> living as The Truth is True

This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC