[ih] Interprocess Communication

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri May 13 10:18:13 PDT 2022

Alex McKenzie via Internet-history wrote:
>   Thank you all for your informative answers.  I have the information I need.
> Alex
>
>      On Thursday, May 12, 2022, 02:45:58 PM EDT, Alex McKenzie <amckenzie3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>   In August 1970, Dave Walden issued RFC #62, describing a system for interprocess communication that did not include the concept of "connections" or "circuits".  (I believe it was also published in the Communications of the ACM.) It was a generalization of interprocess communication within a single computer.  I believe that at the time his proposal was too radical for the ARPAnet Network Working Group to consider seriously, and so far as I know it has never been implemented.  That is my question: has that concept, or something close, been implemented in the Internet or elsewhere?
> Thanks,Alex McKenzie

Out of curiosity....

What do you need it FOR?  Or is it, just out of curiousity? :-)

Best,

Miles

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown