[ih] Interprocess Communication

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Thu May 12 16:23:07 PDT 2022

Work on the Arpanet host level protocols started with a meeting in August
1968.  Representatives from the first four sites came to a meeting at
UCSB.  Elmer Shapiro from SRI chaired the meeting.  Jeff Rulifson came from
SRI.  Vint and I came from UCLA.  There are notes with the names of the
others.

A series of meetings spaced roughly six weeks apart followed.  I was
immediately focused on how to create a general architecture.  Interprocess
communication came quickly to mind, and I tried to check the literature.
Multics was the most visible and most ambitious operating system at the
time.  If I recall correctly, the only thing I could find regarding
interprocess communication involved using a bit in shared memory for
coordination.  The memory had to support an uninterruptible test and set"
instruction.  I remember thinking we didn't have any shared memory across
the Arpanet, so there wasn't a template I could adapt.

Steve

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 2:46 PM Alex McKenzie via Internet-history <