[ih] Interprocess Communication

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Thu May 12 11:58:25 PDT 2022

https://www.walden-family.com/public/walden-cacm-1972-ipc.pdf is the CACM
version.  I believe it's the same as RFC 62, which was published in August
1970.

This was apparently discussed in

Computer Networks (1976)
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/computer-networks-1976>
Volume 1, Issue 5
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/computer-networks-1976/vol/1/issue/5>,
August
1977, Pages 243-289
[image: Computer Networks (1976)]
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/computer-networks-1976/vol/1/issue/5>
The ARPA network design decisions☆
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0376507577900149#aep-article-footnote-id1>
Author links open overlay panelJohn MMcQuillan
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0376507577900149#!>David
CWalden
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/0376507577900149#!>
https://doi.org/10.1016/0376-5075(77)90014-9Get rights and content
<https://s100.copyright.com/AppDispatchServlet?publisherName=ELS&contentID=0376507577900149&orderBeanReset=true>
Abstract

A number of key decisions made in the design of the ARPA network over a
five-year period serve as the context for an analysis of the fundamental
properties and requirements of packet-switching networks and formulation of
the fundamental criteria for evaluating network performance. The decisions
described fall into the three major areas of network equipment design,
store-and-forward subnetwork system design, and source-to-destination
system design, and each decision is examined in detail.

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 2:46 PM Alex McKenzie via Internet-history <