[ih] David C. Walden

Nelson H. F. Beebe beebe at math.utah.edu
Tue May 3 06:04:11 PDT 2022

I was sorry to see an announcement yesterday from Boris Veytsman, the
President of the TeX Users Group:

>> In other unhappy news, I am very sad to report the passing of a great
>> friend and TeX enthusiast, Dave Walden.  Dave was a living history of
>> computers and computer typesetting, who knew everything and everybody.
>> He was one of the most generous people I ever knew, always here to
>> help and support.  He was a TUG director and treasurer for many years.
>> I learned a lot from Dave and his advice.  He will be missed.  (A longer
>> memoriam will appear in the next TUGboat.)

Dave was an Internet pioneer who between 1970 and 1976 appears in the
author list of at least 27 Internet RFC documents, spanning numbers 61
to 716.

The University of Utah is Node 4 of the original Arpanet, and Dave
told me that it was he who installed the first BBN (Bolt Beranek and
Newman, Inc.) IMP here at Utah.  That happened several years before I
arrived in Salt Lake City, so I didn't meet him until the post-2000
years at TeX User Group conferences.

In later years, after his retirement from BBN, Dave became an editor
of the journal IEEE Annals of the History of Computing. He also wrote
16 articles in that journal, including two on the history of BBN, one
on that of Interleaf, Inc., and co-authored two on that of the TeX
typesetting system.  BibTeX entries for all of them can be found in

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/ieeeannhistcomput.bib

[change .bib to .html for a view with active hyperlinks].

Dave wrote 47 articles in TUGboat, the journal of the TeX Users Group,

	http://www.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/bib/tugboat.bib

including numerous interviews with TUG members.

Dave's Web sites at

	https://walden-family.com/
	https://walden-family.com/dave/

document some of his other activities.

- University of Utah                                                          -