[ih] SMTP History

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Mon Mar 28 14:04:21 PDT 2022

Dear Emiliano:

 I wrote a history for IEEE History of Computing that covers much of this
ground.  I was able to talk to a lot of the people involved in early
developments in Email (including SMTP), some of whom are now deceased.
http://emailhistory.org/papers/partridge-email.pdf

Specifically on SMTP, it was a rethinking of MTP.  MTP was created by
Sluizer and Postel.  There was a rumor at the time that the most vocal and
insightful critic of MTP was Peter Kirstein but I was never able to confirm
that (note 82 observes that Sluizer remembered Postel talking about
"people" with concerns).  In any case, Postel created SMTP in response to
feedback about MTP and I sketch a logical path to SMTP from some of the
work Sluizer and Postel did, which may have inspired Jon's solution.

Craig

On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 10:41 AM Emiliano Spinella via Internet-history <

> Hi everyone,
>
> Lately, I have been looking for information regarding the history of SMTP
> but could not find much information.
>
> Basically, I am interested in the initial Email system protocols and how
> SMTP got its final form. I imagine there must have been multiple protocol
> alternatives for Email but somehow SMTP became a standard.
>
> Were there some relevant milestones that helped SMTP to become broadly
> adopted? I imagine there must have been some important institution or set
> of institutions that drove the adoption.
>
> Also, is there any reason why POP3 and later IMAP were not part of SMTP?
>
> I was wondering if somebody in this list could give me some light.
>
> Thanks,
> Emiliano
>
> --
> _LEGAL NOTICE: The content of this email message, including the attached
> files, is confidential and is protected by article 18.3 of the Spanish
> Constitution, which guarantees the secrecy of communications. If you
> receive this message in error, please contact the sender to inform them of
> this fact, and do not broadcast its content or make copies.
> _
> _*** This
> message has been verified with removal tools for viruses and malicious
> content ***
> _
> _This legal notice has been automatically incorporated into
> the message.
> _
>
> *---------------------------------------------*
> *AVISO
> LEGAL: El contenido de este mensaje de correo electrónico, incluidos los
> ficheros adjuntos, es confidencial y está protegido por el artículo 18.3
> de
> la Constitución Española, que garantiza el secreto de las comunicaciones.
> Si usted recibe este mensaje por error, por favor póngase en contacto con
> el remitente para informarle de este hecho, y no difunda su contenido ni
> haga copias.
> *
> _*** Este mensaje ha sido verificado con herramientas de
> eliminación de virus y contenido malicioso ***
> _
> _Este aviso legal ha sido
> incorporado automáticamente al mensaje._

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and