[ih] MIBs and YANG [was GOSIP & compliance]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 13:56:32 PDT 2022

It's perhaps worth noting that the IETF hasn't published a MIB since
2018 (RFC 8502) but has published many YANG modules in recent years.

I don't know whether there are any statistics about deployment,
but it's clear that NETCONF/YANG has taken over from SNMP/MIB
as far as development work goes.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter

On 29-Mar-22 08:09, Bob Purvy via Internet-history wrote:
> I wasn't one of the *pioneers* of SNMP, but I led RFC 1697, implemented
it
> on Oracle, and acquired Emanate for the Packeteer devices.
>
> It's not true that there was NO commonality among devices. Everyone
> implemented MIB-II. HP OpenView was able to do a reasonable job of network
> discovery, using only or primarily that.
>
> Configuration via SNMP: I know a lot of people did that. We never did. It
> wasn't suited for it, IMHO.
>
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2022 at 11:19 AM John Day via Internet-history <
> internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
>> Just to add to the comments,
>>
>>> On Mar 28, 2022, at 12:48, Craig Partridge via Internet-history <
>> internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>>
>> 802 had already done a management protocol (84-85) very similar to SNMP
>> and had discovered its weaknesses. In particular that it generated a lot of
>> traffic to accomplish little. (I always called it the “Turning
Machine
> [...]
>>>
>>> By the way, many of the features noted in CMIP were actually in HEMS
>> and/or
>>> SNMP first.  We were pretty open about playing with ideas at the time
and
>>> the CMIP folks, who had an empty spec when SNMP and HEMS started, chose
>>> borrow liberally.  (Or, at least, that's my recollection).
>>
>> As hinted above, the CMIP work was based on the earlier experience in 802.
>> The big switch was moving to an OO model and including scope and filter,
>> which HEMS could have had and SNMP didn’t.
>>
>> OSI had the additional problem that IBM was advertising that OSI did data
>> transfer, not management, SNA did management, and was playing the usual
>> ‘keep the discussion going’ games to see to it that progress was not being
>> made. They were totally unprepared when complete management architecture
>> and protocol proposals came in from IEEE in 1985. (They worked like hell to
>> try to get it thrown out but couldn’t because there were too many companies
>> behind it). That broke the logjam and got things going.
>>
>> What is amusing is that when SNMP was approved, a major router vendor
>> played the same game IBM had arguing that SNMP would be okay for monitoring
>> but not configuration because it wasn’t secure. ;-) Of course,
it wasn’t
>> secure, but it was a heck of a lot more secure using ASN.1 than the
>> vendor’s solution of opening a Telnet connection and sending passwords in
>> the clear. ;-)  Every laptop on the planet had a telnet program, but
>> exceedingly few had ASN.1 compilers. The vendor played the industry for
>> suckers and they fell for it.  The resulting debacle over SNMPv2 pretty
>> much sealed the fate of SNMP.
>>
>>> There was a network management project in the late 1980s, name now eludes
>>> me but led by Jil Wescott and DARPA funded, that sound similar in goals
>>> what Jack H. describes doing at Oracle.  I leaned on wisdom from those
>>> folks (esp. the late Charlie Lynn) as Glenn Trewitt and I sought to
>> figure
>>> out what HEMS should look like.
>>
>> The database issues were always at the forefront in the network management
>> development. Most everyone else blew it by trying to use relational
>> databases, which were totally unsuited for the problem. (Charlie Bachman
>> and I use to jokingly debate: He would say, you can’t do a bill of material
>> (parts explosion) structure in a relational database. I would counter that
>> you could but who the heck would want to!! It would be like writing a COBOL
>> compiler for a Turing Machine!) ;-)
>>
>> So when it came to network management, we immediately adopted an E-R
>> database. (Charlie always contended that every relational database had
an
>> ER model under it for speed. I don’t know if he was right about ‘all’ but
>> it was true of a lot of them.) One of our MIT grads had been taught
>> relational was the only way. So we said do the performance comparison.
We