[ih] SMTP History

Emiliano Spinella emiliano.spinella at syndeno.com
Mon Mar 28 09:41:42 PDT 2022

Hi everyone,

Lately, I have been looking for information regarding the history of SMTP
but could not find much information.

Basically, I am interested in the initial Email system protocols and how
SMTP got its final form. I imagine there must have been multiple protocol
alternatives for Email but somehow SMTP became a standard.

Were there some relevant milestones that helped SMTP to become broadly
adopted? I imagine there must have been some important institution or set
of institutions that drove the adoption.

Also, is there any reason why POP3 and later IMAP were not part of SMTP?

I was wondering if somebody in this list could give me some light.

Thanks,
Emiliano

--
_LEGAL NOTICE: The content of this email message, including the attached
files, is confidential and is protected by article 18.3 of the Spanish

*---------------------------------------------*
*AVISO
LEGAL: El contenido de este mensaje de correo electrónico, incluidos los
ficheros adjuntos, es confidencial y está protegido por el artículo 18.3 de
la Constitución Española, que garantiza el secreto de las comunicaciones.
Si usted recibe este mensaje por error, por favor póngase en contacto con
el remitente para informarle de este hecho, y no difunda su contenido ni
haga copias.
*
_*** Este mensaje ha sido verificado con herramientas de
eliminación de virus y contenido malicioso ***
_
_Este aviso legal ha sido
incorporado automáticamente al mensaje._