[ih] Speaking of Minitel: Here's an oldie NO one remembers

Johan Helsingius julf at Julf.com
Sun Mar 27 23:25:36 PDT 2022

On 27/03/2022 22:02, Brian E Carpenter via Internet-history wrote:

> Computer? No. Word Processor? No. Telephone? No. In fact, after the sales
> pitch I still didn't know what it was or why I'd ever want one (even the
> free ones that the rep was offering to CERN as a trial). In all
> seriousness,
> we couldn't see the slightest use for it. In particular, it had no network
> connection (except a phone line), so it was a hard sell to a networking
> group.

The Bell Labs/Lucent/Philips Shannon/IS2630 web phone (running
Inferno, the commercial version of Plan 9) at least had networking
(but only over phone line), but no VoIP, even if it was a phone...

https://i.imgur.com/TV7x46ml.png

I still have a couple of those somewhere in a storage unit...

	Julf