[ih] Eric Allman, the Sendmail DEBUG command and "people who are privileged to go into the depths of networks, often across administrative boundaries..." (was GOSIP & compliance

the keyboard of geoff goodfellow geoff at iconia.com
Sat Mar 26 15:07:33 PDT 2022

vis-a-vis On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 10:13 AM Karl Auerbach who wrote:
"... people who are privileged to go into the depths of networks,
often across administrative boundaries, going where privacy and
security concerns must be honored..."

an Internet History anecdote "relating" to the above with regards to the
"history and purpose" of the Sendmail DEBUG command that was responsible
for the Robert Tappen Morris Internet Worm Incident in 1988 as excerpted
from a "Hillside Club Fireside Meeting: Eric Allman" last year starting at
about 51 mins and 15 secs:

*Tim Pozar*: *"... geoff goodfellow is back here saying could you give some
backstory with respect to the Sendmail DEBUG command that led to the Robert
Tappen Morris 1988 Internet Worm Incident?"*

*Eric Allman: *"Actually, this is a good story. So for those who don't
know, I put in a command in Sendmail that I could connect to remotely and
say DEBUG. And it would give me basically permissions that I wasn't
supposed to have on that computer. Big permissions on that computer. So why
did I do something like that? Well, it turns out that this is back when
Sendmail was being used on campus, and I was at least a part time student,
and there was a bug on one of the computers, but it was one of the
computers that was used for administrative computing. And they said, So
there's this bug. And I said, well, let me come in and look at it. They
said, oh, we can't let you onto that computer. You're a student. You don't
have authorization to get to that computer. Well, I can't fix your problem
then. Oh, no, you have to fix our problem. I can't. You have to. You can't.
You have to. They wouldn't let me onto the computer, but I did send them
saying something like, here's a new version (of sendmail). I've done some
stuff to it. Why don't you install it and try it out? And that gave me the
access to the machine that I needed to actually fix their problem. And if
they had never done that, the DEBUG command would never have happened. It
was like they were unrealistic about the security. Now it is totally my
fault that I did not immediately remove the DEBUG command. And that was,
frankly, because, wow, it was so useful there. I might need that again.
Here we go. And at some point I kind of forgot about it and it was out way
too far on the net. That was just pure stupidity. I apologize for that."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6h-jCxtSDA

*Hillside Club Fireside Meeting: Eric Allman*
*"On January 1, 1983, the Internet was born from the ashes of the ARPAnet,
and sendmail was already there. Written by Eric Allman as a stopgap measure
in the early 1980s, it grew with the Internet, at one point delivering
around 90% of all the email on the network.*

*The early developers of the Internet believed that "universal
communication" would promote democracy and bring people closer together.
Things didn't work out that way. Many folks, including Eric, gave away
their work for free. That changed too. *
*Arlene Baxter engages Eric Allman in conversation about those early, heady
days as electronic communication began to be an essential part of all of
our lives. This conversation will discuss the origins of sendmail, the
attitudes of the time, and how the Internet grew and changed over the
years."*

On Sat, Mar 26, 2022 at 10:13 AM Karl Auerbach via Internet-history <

Geoff.Goodfellow at iconia.com
living as The Truth is True