[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Johan Helsingius julf at Julf.com
Sun Mar 20 09:21:53 PDT 2022

On 20/03/2022 17:01, Bob Purvy wrote:

> I never heard that. Interesting.

There has been a couple of academic papers about it published
in "Internet Histories" (an academic journal for historians).

> One still wonders why the other European PTTs didn't do their own and
> interoperate with Minitel. Too much NIH?

Some of them did their own (I know of at least of "telesampo"
by Telecom Finland. I guess there was not much point in
interoperating, as Minitel had french-language content and
Telesampo Finnish-language content.

> I recall reading research papers back then on "videotex" (a term you
> don't hear anymore). I think there were lots of research efforts on it,
> but it never went beyond small trials.

Prestel was pretty popular not just in the UK, but also adapted
in Sweden, Germany and Netherlands.

	Julf