[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) lyndon at orthanc.ca
Sat Mar 19 17:39:33 PDT 2022

Clem Cole via Internet-history writes:

> Cristinsen's book explains it.  To successfully disrupt, you have to find a
> new  (and rapidly growing) user base that values the new technology AND is
> willing to accept its downsides at the beginning.  But Metcalfe notes
> that's really hard in communications networks, because the value of the
> network is less determined by the technology, but by the number of users
> that are part of the community.

And so what we need is for Netflix to go IPv6-only.  I guarantee you
the global Internet will have left IPv4 behind within six months (at
most).

Yes, that's somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but really, the only things
that would get left behind are all those boxes that need IPv4 to
PXE boot, and the many IPMI interfaces that are v4-only.  And in
both cases those are almost certainly talking to very local and
very restricted networks, so none of that needs to get past a
customer's edge router.  (And as the hardware dies off, so will
even that need.  I've noticed that an appreciable fraction of
the hardware we've been buying lately has v6 support for both
PXE and IPMI.)

--lyndon

--lyndon