[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Bob Purvy bpurvy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 15:37:49 PDT 2022

As for "potential users" being the whole world, I think that's kinda like
saying that the whole TV-watching audience in 1999 was a "potential user"
of a streaming service.

Why is that the correct analogy? You wouldn't have signed up for Hulu then
if they'd offered it -- your Internet speed was too slow, and your TV was
too crappy, too. And not much of the good content was available.

The same limitations applied to PC users who weren't online in 1985 (like
me, at home). It was just too difficult then. You'd have a 2400 baud modem,
if you were lucky, and then it was a very techie experience to connect to
anything. Mr. and Mrs. Average were never going to do it.

On the other hand, hackers at work with Unix or VAX machines had a much
easier time of it. *They* were the potential audience, and they were using
TCP.

By the way, the Minitel *did* ring all the bells. I used one in Paris in
1989. It was pretty nice, and they had the revenue model down pat. It was
only the PTT's ineptitude, slowth, and narrow-mindedness that kept that
from taking off and selling the OSI model. They didn't even try.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 2:55 PM Clem Cole via Internet-history <