[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Mar 19 14:29:16 PDT 2022

On 3/19/2022 1:52 PM, Clem Cole via Internet-history wrote:
>   There was not a new user base and the old user base
> valued what it had.

Please forgive my disagreeing again, but there was an enormous,
potential user base.  Pretty much the entire world.  The established
user base for TCP/IP was relatively small.

By the late 1980s, OSI had done a spectacularly good job of selling the
concept of interoperability.  Really, I'd claim it create the awareness
of the possibility that products from different vendors could be made to
work together.

Previously, that was pretty much never done, and vendors had a strong
incentive to feed the myth that it couldn't.  The profit margins for
proprietary solutions are markedly (pun?) higher than for open,
interoperable ones.

At the same time, OSI failed to deliver workable solutions.

So it created the market, and TCP/IP satisfied it.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking