[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Sat Mar 19 09:56:33 PDT 2022

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 9:00 AM Clem Cole via Internet-history <

> *IP vs. OSI    -- "**Simple Economics always beats Sophisticated Design"*

I would actually says "works beats does not work."  Not because OSI
couldn't work.  I think, for the most part, the implementation efforts of
the time showed that, with some set of bugfixes and adjustments to
standards, OSI could work.  But... TCP/IP was already working.

As best I can tell (I didn't join the scene until 1983), 1990 OSI
implementations were not as mature as 1981 TCP/IP implementations.  And you
would not have wanted to run a 1981 TCP/IP network -- indeed, a certain
share of ARPANET folks were none too happy when forced to run TCP/IP in
1983.  Several years of operational experience made a huge difference in
terms of operational stability.

Note, it is not as if the OSI advocates did not know this.  In fact, when
queried, they'd say they needed to import the wisdom of TCP/IP operations
into OSI.  But... they never did (and there's probably a good case study
there about why).

Craig

--
*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and