[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Bob Purvy bpurvy at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 09:55:00 PDT 2022

I'm happy to say that I benefited hugely from this "only the intersection
of everyone's lists" philosophy when the RDBMS MIB working group came along
in late 1993.

Marshall Rose was our advisor, and as the Oracle rep I had the honor of
chairing it. Every major database company was in on it, and somehow or
other, mostly by chanting that mantra, we got RFC 1697 out in July 1994, if
memory serves.

There were all kinds of requests for additional features, but we always won
by saying "let's get this first version out, and then deal with that."
There were never any later versions, btw. Oracle implemented it; I don't
know if any other vendors did. I think Ingres and Informix did, but I'm not
sure.

*One point no one's brought up that bears mentioning*: I always played
heavily on the participants' desire to get *done*, tell their boss that
they succeeded, and not tie up the company's resources forever. In the
"official" standards bodies, you can draw full-time standards politicians
who don't have any other job. IETF drew people who actually did work.

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 9:08 AM Dave Crocker via Internet-history <