[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri Mar 18 17:34:10 PDT 2022

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc1169.html

crafted to allow TCP/IP to be used for an indefinite future while OSI
implementations matured...

Pelkey:
https://historyofcomputercommunications.info/section/14.5/the-department-of-defense-osi-and-tcp-ip/

Pelkey:
https://historyofcomputercommunications.info/section/14.8/the-nbs-in-action-osinet,-cos,-and-gosip/

If I am remembering the history correctly, I wrote a request to NIST in
1992 as president of the Internet Society asking that a blue ribbon panel
be assembled to again evaluate OSI vs TCP/IP. This would effectively
revisit the earlier NRC panel that concluded that TCP and TP4 were
essentially equivalent but that the OSI protocol ought to be the final
standard destination because of its support in ISO. The new panel took a
year to review the question and concluded that TCP and TP4 were essentially
similar in functionality but that the widely available TCP/IP protocols
should be allowed in lieu of OSI. At least, that is what I believe
happened. I have not found any correspondence to confirm this and maybe I
am misremembering but it seems to me that by 1993 (on the cusp of MOSAIC
and after the demonstration of HTTP running over TCP/IP in 1991), the OSI
mandate basically faded out.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 6:01 PM Tony Li via Internet-history <