[ih] GOSIP & compliance

Bob Purvy bpurvy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 10:02:10 PDT 2022

I was around for all this, but probably not as much as some of you. So many
memories fade...

I've been reading this
<https://courses.cs.duke.edu//common/compsci092/papers/govern/consensus.pdf>.
This passage...

*By August 1990, federal agencies were required to procure
GOSIP-compliantproducts. Through this procurement requirement, the
government intended to stimulate the market for OSI products. However, many
network administrators resisted the GOSIP procurement policy and continued
to operate TCP/IP networks, noting that the federal mandate, by specifying
only procurement, did not prohibit the use of products built around the
more familiar and more readily available TCP/IP.*

... in particular stuck out for me. Admins were required to go OSI, but
somehow it never happened.  Does anyone have any personal stories to relate
about this, either your own or someone else's?

*Disclosure*: I'm writing historical fiction, mostly because that's what I
want to do. So there won't be any actual names in whatever I write. I'm
interested in the private choices people make, not the institutions,
towering figures, and impersonal forces that most historians write about.