[ih] SpaceX Starlink in Ukraine and RELCOM during the Soviet coup attempt

John Lowry jhlowry at mac.com
Wed Mar 16 04:30:00 PDT 2022

As a Starlink user who lives a mere 40 miles from Portland Maine, I can say that Starlink is a blessing.  There are many other testimonials.  Most everyone I know points out that Starlink is not for the privileged and the privileged don’t seem interested in it.  My children live near Boston and get 3 to 4 times the bandwidth for 60% of the cost from cable Internet. Their attitude is a slightly condescending “We’re glad for you Dad, but no thanks.”

My only choice other than Starlink is 768/128 Kbps.  I keep that capability as emergency backup.

As to the carbon footprint of rocket launches that I think was referred to, the calculation reported in the linked story has been repeated and reported independently elsewhere.

Environmentally, in terms of atmospheric,  debris, and visual environments, Spacex seems to be well thought out and not  a significant threat or burden. I would rather see private jets and personal space travel eliminated.

https://www.treehugger.com/spacex-launch-puts-out-much-co-flying-people-across-atlantic-4857958

Sent from my high-carbon iPad via Starlink