[ih] Preparing for the splinternet

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Mar 14 08:16:59 PDT 2022

According to Dan York via Internet-history <york at isoc.org>:
>I think NNTP had similar issues with the UX of news readers… but I also think there were larger issues there with
>companies seeking to use news as a means to keep people inside their new walled gardens.. and also to provide moderated
>experiences. (But that could be a whole other email thread.)

I still run a moderated newsgroup which gets significant traffic.

The problem with usenet wasn't the UI, which for the most part was the same as for
mail programs (Thunderbird still does both.)  It was that like any freeish push medium,
it was overrun with spam.  By the time we got the spam under control, most of the users
had moved on to other places.

R's,
John
--