[ih] Preparing for the splinternet

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sun Mar 13 08:01:43 PDT 2022

Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> if you look at history from the Users' perspective, IMHO the problem
> has been a lack of follow-through.  Lots of technology (protocols,
> formats, algorithms) has been created, documented in 1000s of RFCs and
> such.  But unless it gets to the field and becomes an inherent and
> pervasive capability of the Internet, it doesn't really exist for the
> Users, whether they be individuals or corporations or governments or
> network or cloud operators.
>
> Two good examples of technology beyond basic TCP/IP that have made
> that leap are DNS and NTP.  You can pretty much count on them to be
> available no matter where you connect to the Internet and what kind of
> device you use to make that connection.
>
> In contrast, many other technologies may "exist" but haven't made that
> leap.
>
> E.g., X.509 and certificates may exist, but IMHO they aren't widely
> used.   I occasionally see my browser advise me that a certificate is
> invalid.   But the only path forward it offers is to ignore the error
> if I want to continue doing whatever I'm trying to do.  I typically
> say "go ahead", and I suspect most Users do the same. Similarly, I
> have PGP and S/MIME credentials, but I rarely use them, and rarely
> receive any email from others using them.

But... they're used EVERYWHERE in government, particularly the military
- where you need to plug a CAC card into your computer, just to log in.

They're used, because you HAVE to use them.

Same again for things like Microsoft Active Directory in the corporate
environment, or Shibboleth in the academic world.  (Which, in turn, are
based on Kerberos, if memory serves.)

If the folks who enforce HIPPA were to pass a regulation requiring a
standard format, and standard protocols, for exchanging medical records
- that was based on X.509 certificates and S/MIME - guaranteed that
every medical systems provider would migrate from their proprietary
formats and protocols, to the standard. (Particularly, since pretty much
every mail and web client has the capabilities built in.)

> Control of Internet content, to provide child protection or other
> constraints, was developed by W3C in the 90s (look up PICS - Platform
> for Internet Content Selection).  It was even implemented in popular
> browsers of the day.  As a rep to W3C I helped get that in place as a
> general mechanism for attaching metadata to Web content, but AFAIK it
> never got any real use in the broad Internet and by now seems to have
> disappeared.
>
> Perhaps some historian will someday explain why such mechanisms don't
> seem to make it to the field and get widely implemented, deployed, and
> used.  Why are they different from TCP/IP, DNS, NTP and maybe a few
> others which had success in the early stages of the Internet?

Lack of a forcing function - be it a vacuum demanding to be filled, or
legislation, or buying behavior of a large client, or customer demand.

Miles