[ih] Preparing for the splinternet

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 12:00:08 PST 2022

On 13-Mar-22 05:30, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
> On 3/12/2022 8:20 AM, Miles Fidelman via Internet-history wrote:
>>
>> Connectivity & Interoperability are what make the Internet useful - and
>> we've been going backwards since the day we opened the Internet to the
>> public.
>
> That seems an overly-constrained assessment.  A casual view of the
> activities prior to going public could reasonable produce the view that
> there has been increasing entropy from the start.

Correct. (And yes, it is indeed the 2nd law of thermodynamics in action,
because the network is big enough and random enough for that to apply.)

Also, there are many examples of segmentation of the network for
technical, rather than political, reasons.
https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc8799.html

    Brian