[ih] Preparing for the splinternet

Toerless Eckert tte at cs.fau.de
Sat Mar 12 05:08:34 PST 2022

Karl,

How is what you are describing not what we already have for decades ?

Even in the 90th and 200x, we had IP networks of global companies with
as much as 100,000 routers (in 2005 from one corporation if i remember correctly) or
government agencies like the US defense networks, all of which had tightly filtered
connections to the Internet. Who would today dare to put arbitrary home equipment you
buy "onto" the Internet without a strong firewall ? Aka: the end-to-end Internet
was and is mostly a great marketing message up to the point where whoever asked starts to
worry about attacks/security/privacy and so on.

The only somewhat novel aspect is more and more state actors wanting to filter
the public Internet. Including the EU. And there is and probably never will be
a more differentiated answer from IOSOC than "don't" and then being quiet when
being challenged on that ultra-simplified position.

But to me all that splinternet filtering is a secondary issue. I am more worried
about the opposite: The drive for lower cost has eliminated more and
more of such large "private" networks and replaced their backbones with "SD-WAN", aka:
tunneling across the Internet. I have seen no good analysis/prediction of resilience
under failure or attack of/against the Internet and the impact not only for
"native?" Internet services, but everything that tunnels across it. Sure, the Internet
has likely more redundancy now than 15 years ago, but does that compensate for loss
of independent underlying physical connectivity we had in before ? arguably, even those
private networks might have shared fibers.

Aka: How much insight do we have about the history/evolution and current state of resilience
at the actual application/service level ?  To me even the fact that we might not have enough
 of an idea would be a good reason for DK to send out the mail he did. But even more, it
would be a good reason to better understand/analyze and improve the situation.

Cheers
    Toerless