[ih] legal models [was: there must be a corollary to Godwin's law about Sec 230, was ARPANET pioneer] {dkim-fail}

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Mar 7 18:41:24 PST 2022

It appears that Ned Freed via Internet-history <ned+internet-history at mrochek.com> said:
>I've found corporate patent counsel to be very very good -  as in able to catch
>my techinical errors good. Quite a few have an engineering background.

It is my impression that a science or engineering degree is a prerequisite if you
want to go into patent law.  One of my college classmates got a PhD in biochemistry
and after a few years in industry went back to school and did patent law ever since.
She mentioned one time she'd gotten something like 400 patents, which is a lot.  So
I looked at some of them and found they were all the same other than minor changes in
a chemical formula.  "I didn't know you could get the same patent 400 times", I told
her when I saw her next.  She smiled and said, "You're just about the only person
who noticed."

R's,
John

>P.S. If you have any interest in appellate law and the people who practice it,
>I highly recommend:
>
>     https://appellatesquawk.wordpress.com/

Looking from the other direction I like the Short Circuit
blog/newsletter/podcast, which has a weekly roundup of snarky but
well-informed summaries of appellate court decisions. It's run by the
libertarian Institute for Justice but they know their law.
https://shortcircuit.org/

R's,
John