[ih] legal models [was: there must be a corollary to Godwin's law about Sec 230, was ARPANET pioneer]

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 17:26:09 PST 2022

On 07-Mar-22 13:54, Bob Purvy via Internet-history wrote:
>> There are three models of distributor liability which we can call
> magazine, you're responsible for everything with minor exceptions,
> bookstore, you're responsible for what you know about or should
> reasonably know about, and Fedex, you're responsible for nothat thing.
> There are court cases for all of these.
>
> Quite interesting. I have to admit I've never heard much about the
> "bookstore model." What are some of the
> court cases about that?
>
> Personally, I believe the proposition that "every issue is brand new with
> the internet" is just wrong, and
> legal models that existed pre-internet were perfectly capable of handling
> it.

I used to think that, but there are at least three gotchas:

1) In Common Law countries such as the US and UK, arguing from
precedent about new  technologies seems to be generally accepted.
But in other jurisdictions, such as those based on Napoleonic law,
this is less clear.

2) You cannot assume that advocates and judges understand the
technology well enough to argue and adjudicate correctly. There's
been a persistent failure to distinguish value from reference, for
example, not helped by lousy terminology such as "address" when
a URL is meant (even without starting on the distinction between
URL, URN and URI).

3) Very few issues are really national; just note how DCMA has
affected countries other than the USA, or how GDPR has affected
countries outside the EU.

    Brian