[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Fri Mar 4 10:50:40 PST 2022

IMHO, if there were a ubiquitous IP-level multicast of some type that
could be observed to actually work in the vast reaches of the Internet,
people (app developers) who could use it would do so.

But "ubiquitous" is important - a mechanism that only works in some
places isn't as valuable as one that works everywhere  (a corollary of
Metcalfe's Law?).   A mechanism that only exists in one or a few ISPs
isn't useful unless you expect all your customers to be using that
ISP(s), and all of the network paths your customers use (to interact
with their own customers etc) are also confined to that same ISP(s) who
support the mechanism.   Those ISPs of course would need their equipment
vendors (routers, switches, hosts, whatever) to also play the same game.

This relates to my discussion in that talk about TOS bits as a
placeholder.   We knew that an infrastructure like the IP network should
likely offer more services than just unguaranteed datagram delivery
("We'll deliver it.  Maybe.  Eventually.  Hopefully."), and that
research was needed to figure out what those services should be and fold
them into the spec for the next generation.

That didn't happen so people invented whatever adhoc mechanisms they
needed at some "higher level" where they could just write the code
themselves - continuing the "rough consensus and running code", and put
their own "servers" (e.g., CDN equipment) wherever it was needed,
relying only on the basic unreliable IP datagram delivery service to be
ubiquitous.

Such "silo-ization" seems to be everywhere now and increasing ....email,
messaging, video chat, forums, ....

Sigh,
Jack