[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 13:08:12 PST 2022

Actually inter-ISP diffserv is technically well defined now
as is mapping to MPLS and 5G classes of service. But indeed,
the issue for diffserv and multicast is the same: there is
no cost-effective business model across ISP boundaries.
Flat-rate best-effort capacity-based charging is still vastly
cheaper and simpler to implement. I can't see any reason that
will ever change.

Regards
    Brian