[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Mar 3 12:35:20 PST 2022

Jack,
Only now getting around to responding to this.

BBN was correct. It wouldn’t work with just that. TCP was based on the work in 1971-72 by CYCLADES at IRIA in France, now INRIA.

Having seen the ARPANET, CYCLADES was building a network to do research on networks. Dave Walden spent some time working with them. The team’s plan was to determine the minimal assumptions to get a packet through a network. Then their research program was to see what else was needed. Start with the simplest and see how much more was needed. (What we would call a clean-slate approach today). What they found was that a 'best effort' datagram with an end-to-end transport in the hosts did everything at the time but two open questions: routing and congestion control. Of course some work had been done on routing but we are still looking for better ways. They recognized immediately that congestion would be an issue and began work on that. (Remember Baran had laid had said there would distinct advantages to a network dedicated to data, rather than voice. It wouldn’t be until much later that more would be needed when that view was relaxed.)

Around 1972 or so, CYCLADES awarded a contract to the University of Waterloo to do research and simulations on those two topics. The primary people were Merek Irland, his advisor Eric Manning and a few others.  They got some interesting results which were factored into the CIGALE network implementation. (CIGALE were the switches for CYCLADES.)  However, CYCLADES was shut down in the late 70s and Irland died of lung cancer in ’78 and as near as I can tell the work was forgotten.

Irland did publish results at the 4th Data Communications Symposium in 1975 in Quebec and was co-author on two papers at a IRIA sponsored conference, Flow Control in Computer Networks in 1979. (The proceedings are dedicated to Irland’ memory.) There are a couple of other papers by him, but mostly there are his thesis and reports at Waterloo and INRIA, so far as know none of which are on-line.

Take care,
John