[ih] ARPANET pioneer Jack Haverty says the internet was never finished

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 12:03:00 PST 2022

On 03-Mar-22 05:53, touch--- via Internet-history wrote:

>> On Mar 2, 2022, at 8:22 AM, Noel Chiappa via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2022 at 8:46 PM Jack Haverty wrote:
>>
>>> One that I used in the talk was TOS, i.e., how should routers (and TCPs)
>>> treat datagrams differently depending on their TOS values.
>>
>> I actually don't think that's that important any more (or multicast either).
>> TOS is only realy important in a network with resource limitations, or
very
>> different service levels. We don't have those any more - those limitations
>> have just been engineered away.
>
> Not all networks can be over-provisioned; DSCPs and traffic engineering
are alive and well.

Indeed. I couldn't tell from the user problem that Jack described in his
talk whether the scenario involved multiple ISPs, and that's critical
because diffserv was not designed for and usually does not work when
crossing ISP boundaries. Alternatively, what he was describing was
a result of the well-known buffer bloat problem. Hard to tell.

    Brian