[ih] Separation of TCP and IP

Craig Partridge craig at tereschau.net
Fri Jun 24 06:47:55 PDT 2022

Voice over Ethernet existed from the 1970s.  You can get a sense by looking
at the citations in a 1983 paper on the subject by Gonsalves in ACM SIGCOMM
'83.

Multiple papers by Danny on his Voice over Internet work ("Packet
communication of online speech", AFIPS '81; "Issues in transnet packetized
voice communication" in ACM SIGCOMM '77).  His Internet Hall of Fame
citation notes his work in this area started in 1973.  I once saw a video,
showing Danny running around Marina del Rey, using packet voice.

Rettberg and team also created the Voice Funnel, attached to ARPANET in
1979 (BBN report 4098).

Work persisted through the 1980s and 1990s.  The Wideband network (Edmond
et al in ACM SIGCOMM '90) was used for experiments in multimedia
conferencing from the late 1980s on (Claudio Topolcic and, I think, Steve
Casner were critical here).

Van Jacobson, who was a user of the Wideband Network, and interested in
creating more flexible services over the regular Internet (Wideband had a
special MAC layer) and several others created the MBone with VIC and VAT in
the 1990s.

VOIP built on a huge reservoir of prior experience.

Craig

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 9:28 PM Grant Taylor via Internet-history <

> On 6/23/22 1:15 AM, Noel Chiappa via Internet-history wrote:
> > These are the impressions that I retain: that Danny was _a_
> > significant force in making this happen, because of his voice work
> > - for which timeliness was important, not correctness. (In IEN-67,
> > "Arrangements - Cohen" Danny "complain[ed] about TCP-3 becoming all
> > things to all people".) Is that correct? (If so, it's probably his
> > most significant technical legacy.) For others, I think Dave Reed
> > may have been in favour too (perhaps he'd already started to think
> > of RPC-like things). And perhaps some of the other voice people -
> > e.g. Forgie? And I'm sure the PARC guys were trying to throw a few
> > clues our way. Am I missing anyone? Did anyone stand out as being a
> > bigger influence than the rest?
>
> Can anyone give, or point to a quick (1~3 paragraph) summary of said
> voice work?
>
> I remember VoIP landing on the scene I was in during the early 2000s,
> but I don't remember hearing about it before that.
>

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

*****
Craig Partridge's email account for professional society activities and