[ih] Separation of TCP and IP

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu Jun 23 18:52:48 PDT 2022

On 6/23/2022 6:41 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
> and they have no need for "sessions".

This is a squirrel and I'm inclined to chase after it.

In the context you've used this clause, sure.  But I suspect we'd be in
better shape if we'd actually taken advantage of the construct more
generally.

I was intrigued to discover, some years back, that TLS is actually
specified within a session layer model, though this bit of generality
has apparently not been otherwise exploited.

The benefit of this layer is the tiresome one of indirection. The
current reality is that one process interacts with another through a
transport protocol. If this interaction is based on continuing state,
there is no convention for maintaining process-process context if that
transport interaction is lost. So the interaction has no robustness
against outages or mobility.

A session layer can fix that, hiding changes from one transport
'connection' to another. Move from Wi-Fi access to cell-based access and
the applications see only some performance hiccups, but no loss of
the... session.

woof.

d/

--