[ih] History of Anonymous FTP

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Wed Sep 29 12:00:41 PDT 2021

I doubt you can find specific times/places for use of such
names/passwords.  IIRC, there was no effort to standardize such things.
Some site would start to use a specific name/password, and other sites
would adopt it if they chose to do so.

My recollection is that the introduction of "anonymous" FTP happened
when electronic mail started being handled by mail servers.
Specifically, I recall that I was implementing a mail server on MIT-DM
(which didn't believe in any passwords at the time), but other systems
were less cavalier about security.

Prior to mail, FTP usage was pretty similar to Telnet usage.   If you
wanted to interact using FTP with another machine on the ARPANET, you
had to have an account there so you could log in to that machine.   Then
you could move files with whatever permissions your account had on that
machine's file system.   Some machines had "public" accounts that were
available (IIRC that was how SRI-NIC provided the Network Information
Center where all sorts of useful files were available.)

That wasn't workable for mail, since it was desirable to be able to mail
someone even when you didn't have an account on their system.    Also,
the "server" had to start running before it knew which user it was
working for, and somehow deal with mail sent to multiple users.

For systems like ITS on MIT-DM, that wasn't a problem.  For systems like
MIT-MULTICS (and no doubt others), it wasn't clear how to build such a
server which wouldn't be operating for any specific user, especially as
it received incoming mail.

Some systems had trouble accommodating such issues created by
networking.  E.g., I remember discussing this with Ken Pogran, who was
implementing mail on MIT-MULTICS, which tried very hard to enforce a
"secure" system where all users were protected from each other.   Which
account should it be running on?   How does it switch to another user
when it later becomes clear who is to receive the incoming mail.   (Ken
probably remembers more).

So, I *think* the "Anonymous" convention was created as a way to have a
"user" that could be associated with the activities of a mail server,
where it wasn't possible to tell which real user of the system should
actually be associated.   That affected things like allocation of costs,
disk space quotas, permissions to read/write parts of the file system,
etc.   Computer OSes would have a "user" who ran the mail server, which
of necessity had to be able to "serve" mail for all of the real users
who had accounts there.

This was certainly in the early 70s but I can't remember exactly when.
IMHO, it was probably the first, or at least early, instance of the
shift from the "users on their computers running their jobs" model into
the richer "distributed system" structure with lots of interacting
servers performing tasks for all users throughout the network, even when
a user is not "logged in" at the time.

Abhay Bhushan's office was down the hall from mine, and I remember
discussing various issues with him about FTP's support for "mail". In
particular, I lobbied for MLFL as an addition to the MAIL command in FTP
in order to solve some problems which came up while implementing a mail
system on MIT-DM.   Abhay released several RFCs in the early 70s
refining the FTP spec, and it's possible that "Anonymous" was included
in one of those, which might supply a timeframe for when it happened.

So, IMHO some systems were unwilling to easily make that shift as the
ARPANET took hold.   There had to be "The User" for any compute job to
run, as had been required since the days of punch cards. "Anonymous" was
that User.

/Jack Haverty
(JFH at MIT-DM 1970-1977)