[ih] Email behavior (better subject ID...)

Ole Jacobsen olejacobsen at me.com
Sat Sep 4 11:59:12 PDT 2021

Notice how this is displayed in Apple Mail:

This is really crazy because not only has it changed the sender name to "Jack Haverty via Internet-history"
it has ALSO changed the recipient name to "touch--via..." and look what happens when I started this
reply:

Dave Crocker??

I know that this is a "feature" of my mail agent, but it also seems to be related to
how ISOC set up its mailing lists.

Yikes.

Ole

> On Sep 4, 2021, at 11:51, Jack Haverty via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org> wrote:
>
> So that's what Reply-List does and why it sometimes appears as an option for a message!
>
> I admit being a victim of the Confusion.   I often get multiple copies of mailing-list messages.  Some messages offer the "Reply-List" choice; others just show "Reply".
>
>  After a bit of experimentation, it seems that what happens depends on how the original message arrived.  It appears that when mailing-list messages somehow get my email address into a CC or TO field, behavior of the reply options varies depending on whether I reply to the copy that came through the mailing list or the one that came direct.
>
> E.g., "Reply" to a message that came direct goes to the mailing-list; "Reply" to the same message, but using the copy that was delivered by the list goes back to only the original sender (or maybe it's using the "Reply To" field).
>
> So depending on which copy of a message I reply to, different people get my reply.   If I "Reply" to the copy I got direct, the mailing list doesn't get my reply at all - might explain a lot of "I never got your message" reports.
>
> I've never seen anything like "List-Unsubscribe" offered in a menu.   I guess Thunderbird doesn't do anything with those other List-* fields.   Or perhaps there's some options somewhere in the Preferences that changes the behavior or enables more commands.
>
> Confusing...?  I wonder if the other email apps I use, on smartphones, tablets, or web app, exhibit the same behavior.
>
> /Jack
> PS - I have some historical comments on RFC 791 -- I'll send those separately.    To avoid confusion...
>

> On 9/4/21 6:48 AM, Dave Crocker via Internet-history wrote:
>> On 9/3/2021 3:04 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
>>> I didn't know about those header fields until you pointed them out. The mail app I use (Thunderbird) doesn't appear to do anything with those fields, but I can see them only if I enable "Show All Headers".
>>
>> I am responding to your email by using Thunderbird's Reply to List command.  It's had that ability for so long, I don't remember whether it is built in or I added an extension that does it.  The advantage of using that command is that it drops off all of the individual addresses.
>>

>> On 9/3/2021 9:16 PM, Jack Haverty via Internet-history wrote:
>>> Regardless of their status, you just described exactly what I
>>> observed: "Lots of mail programs recognize them and do something with
>>> them "   The phrase "do something" doesn't sound like a definition of
>>> a standard.

> [...]

Ole J. Jacobsen
Editor and Publisher
The Internet Protocol Journal