[ih] Request for Assistance

Dennis Jennings Dennis.Jennings at Knous.ie
Fri Oct 29 07:42:25 PDT 2021

Hi,

For many of us around the world the "Landweber" meetings held between
1982 and 1989 were an important source of information and personal
contacts about academic networks and an important encouragement to get
together in our own countries and to try to develop our own national or
regional networks, and to connect to the Internet.

Larry is now looking to write some of the history around these meetings
- formally the International Academic Networkshops (IANWs) - and is
looking for your help.

Please see Larry's message below.

Many thanks
Dennis

******

Dear Colleagues

THIS IS A REQUEST FOR YOUR HELP

I am working on an Internet history that will include a discussion of
the roles of the International Academic NetWorkshops (1982-1989), the
INET conferences (1991…) and the Developing CountriesWorkshops (1992…)
in fostering the spread and growth of the global Internet during the
1980s and 1990s.

This request pertains to the IANWs. I am trying to contact attendees of
these Workshops to get their inputs.The attached attendee spreadsheet
has mostly not been updated since the 1980s and most email addresses
likely timed out decades ago. I also do not have a list of attendees for
1982 and 1983.

1. If you attended an IANW please send me (larry.landweber at gmail.com)
your current contact info and the workshops you attended. If you have
photos from the meetings or other photos of attendees from the 1980s,
please send.Please also send any anecdotes, thoughts or comments
regarding the workshops that you would like to share.

2. Please forward this note to colleagues who attended but may not have
received it.

3. I have a fairly complete collection of submitted documents from
1985-89 but do not have those from 1982, 1983, 1984.If you still have
them, please scan and send.

4. Last, please send me information on attendees who have passed away or
who otherwise are not able to respond.

Thanks for your help.

Larry Landweber, Larry.landweber at gmail.com

PS An example of an anecdote:

Jennings, Fuchs and Landweber attended the 1984 IANW. Fuchs and
Landweber knew that CSNET was looking for an Executive Director and that
NSF was looking for a Networking Program Director. Fuchs knew Jennings
from EARN but Landweber met him for the first time. After, observing him
and several discussions, they decided to recommend him for both jobs and
made calls to those leading the searches. Jennings accepted the NSF
position, and the rest is history!

//

--

Dr. Dennis Jennings,

Internet Pioneer, Internet Hall of Fame, 2014

/“I told you this Internet thing would catch on!”/

Company Director / Mentor & Coach / Angel Investor

Dennis.Jennings at knous.ie <mailto:Dennis.Jennings at ICANN.org>

Mobile: +353 87 220 8225

Knous – Knowledge & Common Sense

//

/Please note that NO permission is granted to share these contact
details with any social media platform.///

//

//