[ih] Eric Allman giving a public talk on the history of email

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Mon Oct 4 13:53:58 PDT 2021

On 10/4/2021 1:12 PM, Miles Fidelman via Internet-history wrote:

> One wonders if Eric will mention MMDF. :-)

Given that the description is fulling about sendmail history, I doubt
it. (I know you meant humor, but still...)

Whatever year he created the external configuration capability for
sendmail (1980?) I was similarly motivated to consider this for MMDF.
One concerns was whether reading an external file would happen quickly
enough and another was what the config file should look like.

Eric showed me his newly-minted capability and it clearly loaded quickly
enough.  And then there was the config language he had defined.  I had
two strong reactions.  One was that it was really quite impressive.  The
other was that it was really quite complex.

It decided things for my own system:  I'd leave the complexity to
programmers, inside the MMDF code, and keep the config file in a more
mundane and simple keyword/attribute value style.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking