[ih] Eric Allman giving a public talk on the history of email

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Mon Oct 4 06:56:50 PDT 2021

Bill Woodcock via Internet-history wrote:
> A bit of background:  On January 1, 1983, the Internet was born from the ashes of the ARPAnet,
Ashes?

More like built on the foundation of the ARPANET.  Or grew around the
scaffolding of the ARPANET?

In 1983, the ARPANET was very much, the backbone of the Internet. Jan 1,
1983 - the TCP/IP "Flag Day," marks the day that TCP/IP became the
required standard for ... wait for it ... the ARPANET.

The supercomputer networks, and NSFnet were yet to come.

And then, the ARPANET didn't so much burn, as fade away - to be turned
off in 1990.  The guy in the office next to mine, at BBN, was actually
the project engineer for the final decommissioning.

(Doesn't anybody know any, ... "Internet History" here?)

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown