[ih] Interop historical material?

Greg Skinner gregskinner0 at icloud.com
Mon Nov 29 20:54:05 PST 2021

I have an anecdote from the Interop held in Monterey, CA during March 1987 where routers were mentioned.  Dave Clark was one of the plenary speakers.  Following the quoted text from the Network World article <https://books.google.com/books?id=cBwEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA6&lpg=PA6&dq=dave+clark+interop+monterey+1987&source=bl&ots=ylnyunLtjZ&sig=ACfU3U15huaGlvONf8SPqSLiiIMQ0__fjQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwimm6CUjr_0AhVXIDQIHfw4ATMQ6AF6BAgZEAM#v=onepage&q=dave%20clark%20interop%20monterey%201987&f=false>, “we’re never going to build networks that work”, I believe he added “routers that do.”  After he finished, Bill Carrico took the stage and said words to the effect that despite problems, it works.  DDC then retook the stage and admitted words to the effect that he had been a bit rough.

—gregbo.