[ih] "The First Router" on Jeopardy

Barbara Denny b_a_denny at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 26 15:06:19 PST 2021

 I went off to see what more I could find to check this timing out. Hope you don't mind me using myself in the search since that seemed easiest.   In the 1990s I took over a project involving the DARTnet testbed from Paul McKinney when he left SRI.  He had a paper at IEEE INFOCOM 1990 on SFQ (Stochastic Fairness Queuing). The conference was in June. In that paper,  he uses the term gateway. At the end of the project,  I submitted a technical report to the client on what I had done after he left SRI with SFQ. (In case you are interested,  I also did more work with an SFQ extension involving Virtual Clock. I had to use ST-II since RSVP didn't exist yet). This report was dated March 1993,  and I used the term router to describe the configuration.
I was able to find a copy of my report online.
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/api/citations/19970014215/downloads/19970014215.pdf

I am sure you can find a copy of Paul's IEEE INFOCOM paper.
barbara