[ih] For our next argument ....

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 18:06:40 PST 2021

On 25-Nov-21 13:03, Toerless Eckert via Internet-history wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 24, 2021 at 06:25:01PM -0500, Andrew G. Malis via Internet-history wrote:
>> Is it pronounced "rooter" or "rowter"?
>
> "rooter" = brits, "rowter" = colonists ?

It's a bit more complicated. Firstly, I think you'll sometimes find the "British" pronunciation on the East Coast of the USA, or even occcasionally in the Midwest.

Secondly, when I first taught networking in NZ, where the accent is much closer to British English than US (and very different from Australian), I was *strongly* advised to say "rowt" and "rowter". Why? Because in NZ and Australia, "root" as a transitive verb has a slang connotation that is entirely amusing to a younger audience. So for colonists down under, things are different.

Mick Jagger confuses things even more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q131ZJ6YkG0

    Brian