[ih] multi-protocol routers, bridges (Was: "The First Router" on Jeopardy)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 17:42:45 PST 2021

> but I agree on the
> 'multi-protocol was more common than single rotocol'.

Yes. That's why at CERN, we built our own Ethernet bridges (called FRIGATEs)
that bridged Ethernets over the homebrew CERNET backbone, up and running
by 1986.

https://cds.cern.ch/record/174243
https://cds.cern.ch/record/177513
https://cds.cern.ch/record/186966

On a trip to the US in ~1987, I visited Proteon, mainly to talk about Pronet-80,
but also met Noel, who introduced me to the concept of multiprotocol routers.

Regards
    Brian Carpenter