[ih] "The First Router" on Jeopardy

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Tue Nov 23 09:51:21 PST 2021

The words “protocol knowledge” suggest to me the routing decision depends on which protocol the packet is part of.  That goes a step further than I think is necessary.  Generally, all of the data packets are viewed as belonging to a single protocol.  In the case of the Internet, the protocol is IP.  For example, I wouldn’t expect  TCP packets to be routed differently from UDP packets.

This implies the routing algorithm is tied to a specific protocol layer.  Or to put this another way, the IP layer includes the IP protocol itself and the routing algorithm(s) and protocols at that layer.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone