[ih] "The First Router" on Jeopardy

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Tue Nov 23 06:59:36 PST 2021

I have no problem referring to the Arpanet IMPs as routers.  They weren't
*called* routers at the time, but their function was indeed to route
packets.  So, when explaining things to a modern audience, I say "these
boxes were routers -- we called them IMPs -- and it was a key
breakthrough in the design process to decide to put the routing function in
separate machines."

It's of some historical interest to trace the introduction and use of
various terms, but, in my view, that's a separate and distinct concern from
presenting an understandable description of the function.

That said, I'll acknowledge that a bridge, which simply flooded the
channels with whatever came in, doesn't quite rise to the level of being a
router.  I'm not sure whether a switch deserves to be classified as a
router, and I'd prefer not to debate it.

Steve