[ih] "The First Router" on Jeopardy

Guy Almes galmes at tamu.edu
Mon Nov 22 16:11:00 PST 2021

Noel,
   That's consistent with my memory.

   Recall that Cisco's first big product was the AGS, where the G stood
for Gateway.
   I remember the word 'gateway' being used to refer to packet
forwarders at various levels in the protocol stack.
   Eventually, roughly 1987-88, people started to be careful to use
'router' to refer to a level-3 gateway and 'bridge' to a level-2 gateway.
   And there were application-level gateways such as the various email
gateways, including the wonderful box that JANET had in London that
reversed the DNS names.

   A later language shift came a few years later, when the word 'bridge'
became old-fashioned and people (or was this just marketing?) began to
use the word 'switch' to refer to a high-performance bridge.  And,
later, the word 'switch' was used also for level-3 packet forwarding.
   I do not recall where that came from, but did notice it.

	-- Guy