[ih] Intel 4004 vs the IMP

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Mon Nov 15 12:33:48 PST 2021

IIRC, another of the important criteria for selecting the Honeywell 516
was the I/O performance characteristics, since much of what the IMP did
was transmit and receive over multiple interfaces (to hosts as well as
modems) simultaneously.   The interrupt scheme was part of the larger
issue of I/O capability.

So in looking for the earliest "comparable" microprocessor, in addition
to comparing metrics such as CPU speed and memory, I think you have to
look at I/O characteristics, and how good the processor was at moving
data in and out of multiple serial interfaces simultaneously.

/Jack Haverty