[ih] Fwd: Interviews with the founders of the Internet (Kleinrock, Metcalfe, Perlman, Cerf, Mockapetris)

Brian E Carpenter brian.e.carpenter at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 14:58:26 PDT 2021

Forwarded with permission:

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Interviews with the founders of the Internet (Kleinrock, Metcalfe, Perlman, Cerf, Mockapetris)
Date: 	Mon, 1 Nov 2021 19:28:24 +0000

In the expectation that this would be of interest to readers on this mailing list, I’m passing on some email from Prof. George Varghese at
UCLA:

“In Fall 2020 during COVID I invited five inventors of the Internet to come to my UCLA network class to be interviewed by undergraduates. Here is a summary video:https://youtu.be/sGHnX8WocHw <https://youtu.be/sGHnX8WocHw>

Len Kleinrock talks about scaling laws in large networks and the importance of picking good problems; Bob Metcalfe talks about the rat's nest of wires that preceded Ethernet and the need for more bandwidth for distributed computing; Radia Perlman describes how the constraints of no station changes and constant overhead led to the Spanning Tree algorithm; Paul Mockapetris talks of his goal to scale DNS to every person in the US and why
he did not use a database; finally, Vint Cerf describes how IP's design flowed from its design constraints.

It’s half an hour but if you want to pick a few minutes I really like the contrast between the UCLA kids (in dorms during COVID) and the Internet pioneers especiallyat 20:57where Vint Cerf talks about how and why he worked on IP.”

with kind regards
keshav