[ih] Archive-It - Re: Saving IETF history

Dan York york at isoc.org
Thu May 13 05:04:52 PDT 2021

John,

On May 9, 2021, at 4:23 AM, John Gilmore via Internet-history <internet-history at elists.isoc.org<mailto:internet-history at elists.isoc.org>> wrote:

Re the IETF, look in:

 https://archive-it.org/collections/11034
<snip>
Archive-It is a service of the nonprofit Internet Archive (archive.org<http://archive.org>).
So, the Internet Archive's robots are now crawling (various parts of)
the IETF websites every week, month, and quarter, under my direction.
And saving the results forever, or as long as the Internet Archive and
the Wayback Machine exist.  Between 1998 and now it's pulled in about
1.8 TB of documents, which are accessible and searchable either from the
above URL, or from the main Wayback Machine at web.archive.org<http://web.archive.org>.

Very cool that you are doing this.

I’m also a big believer in archiving and set up the Internet Society with an Archive-It account back in 2017:

https://archive-it.org/home/internetsociety

We use it as a way to regularly archive our various sites, crawling them weekly, monthly, quarterly, or manually depending upon the amount of change (or not) on any given site. Beyond the historical preservation aspect, we’ve also used it as a quick way to verify older content (when we had a database error on the current site), and a way to no longer maintain older content on our current site. The archiving has also allowed us to shut down the web servers operating temporary microsites (reducing security and maintenance issues) and redirect URLs to the archived site at the Wayback Machine. For example,  https://www.openwsis2015.org/

As I’ve participated in the Archive-It member quarterly briefings, I’ve become an even stronger supporter. They are doing good work! (And yes, this does have a reliance in the continued / ongoing existence and operation of the Internet Archive. It *would* be good to ultimately have some type of redundancy there.)

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, Director, Online Content |  Internet Society
york at isoc.org<mailto:york at isoc.org> | +1-603-439-0024 | @danyork<https://twitter.com/danyork>

[cid:image001.png at 01D5D03B.DF736FF0]
internetsociety.org<https://www.internetsociety.org/> | @internetsociety<https://twitter.com/internetsociety>