[ih] Saving IETF history

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed May 12 15:12:43 PDT 2021

I have also been highly concerned about the tendency of modern tech
history to erase its own records.

My concern may, however, be in a different direction.

I am concerned about the growth of specious patents.  There are a lot of
patent trolls out there who buy-up weak patents that got past the
relatively lax patent examiners in the US and elsewere, examiners who
often have no notion of ideas in networking or computer systems, whether
embodied in software or hardware.

By erasing our past we make it difficult to rebut these bad patents - we
have discarded the evidence that the claims of those patents are neither
novel nor non-obvious.

I think that over the last few years the IETF has done a spectacular job
of organizing and tracking the RFC series.

However, we still have a tendency to forget the old when the newer,
shinier thing comes along.

We should strive to make sure that our past is recorded.  And we ought
to consider legal evidentiary requirements so that one who is
challenging specious patents is not blocked by the complexities of the
rules of evidence.

	--karl--