[ih] Link rot (was: Museum archiving (was: Re: IENs))

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Sun May 9 20:50:36 PDT 2021

It appears that Jack Haverty via Internet-history <jack at 3kitty.org> said:
>Interesting, hadn't seen DOA before.  I've learned to be skeptical of
>"Architectures".   Why did they pick such an acronym - when I see "DOA"
>I think of something quite different.  Has this been implemented?  Is it
>being used?  How much stuff is in it?  Or is DOA DOA?

DOA is the new name for the handle system described in RFCs 3650-3652.

DOI is by far its largest application.  As far as I know, nobody uses
the handle resolution protocol, but use https relative to a well known
domain instead, e.g., https://dx.doi.org/10.17487/RFC2549

R's,
John

PS:

>Curiously, those Message-IDs are hot-links, at least in the software I'm
>using (Thunderbird on Ubuntu).   But when I click on one to go to that
>referenced message, all it does is put up a spinner graphic and refuse
>to do anything else so I have to kill the program.

It's probably misinterpreting it as an e-mail address or some kind of funky URL.

For those of us who still use usenet, Message-ID is the primary key to identify
a message and any nntp server can retrieve messages by message ID.

R's,
John