[ih] archival quality, was Internet-history Digest

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Sat May 8 19:30:23 PDT 2021

Of course it is survival bias, that is the point.

A lot of was destroyed, burned, left to rot, throw away, etc. Some old texts that were to be suppressed (or just considered old) were turned into bookbindings of other books. (Yes, old texts have been recovered this way.)

The whole point is that even with all our efforts, some of it will be lost. HP thought they had a very nice safe archive facility for their corporate papers . . . until it was burned to the ground. We have to go to great lengths to ensure that that probability is low.

So far, none of the digital media has been shown to last long enough to be called archival. It isn’t that we haven’t waited 100 years to see if we can read it. It is that we already know what it’s lifetime is as media. If we know that then it is too short. As Brian indicated, a media that requires human intervention on a regular basis is a non starter. We need something that if left alone for a very long time will still be decipherable.